Saturday, June 27, 2015

Sharing treasure and discovering new ones!

Yes, it's true! The travel bug bit me hard about 11 years ago on a family trip to Montana/Wyoming to see Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and Grand Teton NP. After that, college and more specifically my geology major made it easy for me to continue travel, gain experience, and earn credits all at the same time. Exploring and adventuring around is something I have always done; with friends, with family, alone, etc. Traveling and exploring are wonderful, however there is always something a little more special about the places you find and travel to, when you get to share them with someone else. 

For almost a week we had a guest up north, one of Nate's cousins. In a few short days, we had done a fairly good tour of waterfalls in the area. Some I have shared with you and some that were new to us as well. We logged some serious miles and saw some great waterfalls of northern WI and MI. 

I also read that there was a very good chance to view the aurora borealis, more commonly called the northern lights. We waited the first night, it clouded up and rained. The second night, on a whim I looked out the window. I thought the treeline looked a little odd so I went outside about 11:00pm. The sky was moving! There were waves of light, beams lightening and brightening. I have only seen the northern lights several times, but I knew this one was special. We laid a tarp on the ground and laid there for several hours staring at the sky. The lights were all around us and several times met in the middle of the sky. I can't describe the experience, it truly was surreal. I have no pictures to offer either, I wanted to try but I didn't want to miss anything either. 

All our stops:
Potato River Falls, Potato River near Gurney
Superior Falls, Montreal River near Saxon Harbor
Little Girls Point, Gogebic County MI
Copper Falls State Park, near Mellen
Gabbro Falls, Black Ribver near Black Jack Ski Resort
Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park (MI) including Presque Isle and Lake of the Clouds, near Ontonagon, MI
Bond Falls Scenic Area, Paulding, MI

For more information, look for links on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment