Friday, June 12, 2015

McMillan Marsh, Marshfield, WI

One of the first new places I have had a chance to explore, is the McMillan Marsh in Marshfield. I have had lots of time to explore this area and have been on the trail several times through the spring thus far. This is a nice easy trail to walk. It meanders throughout the protected marshlands just north of the city off of Mann Rd. It is also a designated bike route. The entire trail runs about 6 miles, however you can easily turn around at any point. 

This area is home to one of Wisconsin's endangered turtles, Blanding's Turtle. This link from the Wisconsin DNR describes them as extremely timid, which is why I do not have a picture to show you. I have seen many sunning themselves on logs in the marsh, however when I walk by with a noisy dog they immediately retreat into there shell or move into the water. It is also a Wisconsin DNR Wildlife Area noted for pheasant hunting, trapping, and other recreational activities. 

I would recommend this trail to anyone. It is easy walking, very scenic, and a great birding area (song and waterfowl). I have even seen a small weasel popping up holes and dancing around the trail. I did not have my camera out at that time either.









No comments:

Post a Comment