Thursday, October 23, 2014

Hello Colorado!

It took two days to venture out here. Day one we pushed it all the way to Kearny, Nebraska which only left a few hours for us on day two. The ride was as expected, fairly boring through the corn states with a few rocks cuts. As we started getting into western Nebraska the hills started popping up and rolling some. I honestly didn't even see the Front Range until we were about 5 minutes from our end point with Ben and Ellie. It was a cloudy overcast day and the mountains were hiding in the gloominess of the day. 

We have been to so many great restaurants, drank some great beers, and have done some pretty awesome hikes since our arrival. I should have set the blog up a little faster, however I was enjoying my time too much so I might have to play catch up a bit. 

The first weekend we ate out quite a bit, tried some great beers, enjoyed a Packer win, and hiked a bit on North Table Mountain. I'll tackle the beer front first! I have a sour from New Belgium called Le Terrior. I have also been quite impressed with anything from Odell Brewing, I have tried  Levity and 90 Schilling so far. Both of the these breweries are in Fort Collins and I can't wait to get up there! I have also had Breckenridge Avalanche Ale which was quite good.

We have done some hiking with everyone and also some by ourselves. Most places allow dogs on all trails, Kobi has been loving all the adventures as well! Before the Packers won against Miami, we hiked North Table Mountain. It was a bit chillier than I expected on the top and you could see rain in the distance. All of a sudden, the wind whipped up and the rain was not so distant. The drops were big and the hit pretty hard but it didn't last long. We got back in time to watch the game as it continued to rain.


I have done the the trails in and around the Van Bibber Open Space in Jefferson County. It is an easy three mile loop or so. I have seen lots of coyote poop, but no coyotes which is fine by me. 

We have ventured into Boulder several times to enjoy the college town. It reminds me a bit of Madison. We have hiked in the Chautauqua Park are around the Flatirons. We have also visited the farmers market and Pearl St Mall area. 




After the Packer game last Sunday, we ventured not far to Dinosaur RidgeRed Rocks, and we checked out Morrison which was a great place to grab a bite to eat.






On Monday, we left Kobi home due to no dogs on trails or in the backcountry at Rocky Mountain National Park. We drove in by Estes Park and were in awe of the beautifully snow capped mountains. We had a great time hiking around Bear Lake, seeing Alberta Falls, and taking the Trail Ridge Road. This particular road reached 12,183ft in altitude!!! We were driving in the tundra. We saw three distinctly different ecosystems winding up and down the mountain. There was quite a bit of snow, but not enough to close the roads. There were several elk above the tree line snacking on grasses and lichens. The glacial features that were visible from just the ridge line were spectacular. The air was a little thin and a bit chilly as well, however the sun was shining and I was still okay in my fleece.  (pics to follow)

We have had time to take in the local dog parks, disc course, and other little parks in the area. The weather has been great and it's still in the 70s (not in the mountains). I must admit I am missing my lake views somewhat and I wasn't too homesick until last night when Carson was repeatedly yelling at me in the phone and Kyli was telling me about her loose teeth! See you soon buddies!

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment